Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 45~60 minutes
1 Large free range chicken
15ml Malt vinegar
75g BBQ sauce
15g Sweet chilli sauce
60g Runny honey
90g Demerara sugar
10g Black treacle
2 x Minced garlic cloves
10g Maldon sea salt
1. Create the marinade – mix sriracha, malt vinegar, BBQ sauce, sweet chili sauce, honey, demerara sugar, black treacle, minced garlic cloves and sea salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Remove the backbone from the chicken by turning it over and cutting down either side of the spine with a sharp pair of kitchen shears
3. Turn the chicken back over and flatten with the breasts facing up
4. Remove the wing tips as these tend to burn very quickly
5. Thoroughly brush the chicken with the glaze and leave to marinade for 3 – 24 hours
6. Bring BBQ up to heat at roughly 200 – 225C
7. Place the chicken in, skin side down to protect the meat from the flames
8. Once seared and a nice char has been made flip the bird carefully and continue to cook on a low flame with the lid down
9. Cook for 30 – 40 minutes, brushing with the glaze every 10 minutes throughout
10. Check the bird by probing with a food thermometer. It must read 75C at the thickest point of the meat.
11. Let it rest for up to 15 minutes (don’t worry the meat will stay very hot)
12. Carve and enjoy!
Matt grew up in Shropshire, on the Welsh border. He started his career in small country pubs before moving to restaurants and hotels. In the past 6 years he's trained under 2 Michelin star Michael Caines, 2 Hat Matt Moran in Sydney and has recently been appointed Head Chef at the Chester Grosvenors La Brasserie Restaurant, under 1 Michelin star Chef Simon Radley.